Sikh Parade in Edinburgh

Sunday we headed to Origano Pizza again - couldn't resist another visit - and stumbled across the most colorful parade heading down Leith Walk. I ran to catch up and take pictures. A reporter shared the event in her native tongue, so unfortunately, I couldn't understand her, but I did ask a man in a blue turban what was going on. Turns out it was a celebration of Guru Nanak's birthday, the founder of the Sikh religion. (Read more about that here.)
Look at these fantastic outfits and colors - in the middle of Scotland!
This is one of the things I love about living in Edinburgh - it is so incredibly international. I am surrounded daily by people from all over the world, their traditions, food, languages, and cultures. Heck, it's quite common for me to hear at least three or four different languages on my walk to school each day. It makes for a vibrant and exciting environment. I love it.
I mean, how could I not stand in awe when this beautifully adorned family allowed me to take their picture?
As an artist, just coming out of a grey winter, this celebration was positively lovely.

No comments: